Major changes in Cinnamon 1.6:
- Cinnamon 2D session (uses software rendering)
- Workspace OSD: you can now name the workspaces (which are persistent in Cinnamon)
- ALT + Tab improvements: you can now use thumbnails or previews
- Improved sound applet: larger album cover, mute buttons for speakers and microphone and more
- Grid View in Expo
- The panel is fully customizable: options to configure auto-hide delay and the panel height have been added to Cinnamon Settings.
- many other improvements and bug fixes
|ALT + Tab with window thumbnails|
There are also some new applets in the latest Cinnamon 1.6:
- window quick-list: lists all open windows across workspaces
- brightness applet
- notifications applet: like the “Recent Notifications” appindicator, this Cinnamon applet keeps a history of desktop notifications so you never miss important notifications again.
|The new notifications applet|
|Improved sound applet|
|Nemo file manager|
Also, Nemo, the Nautilus 3.4.2 fork has been integrated with Cinnamon, replacing Nautilus. This of course doesn’t mean you can’t use Nautilus or other file managers if you want to, but by default, Cinnamon will use Nemo (e.g. for drawing the desktop, etc.).
Want to see the latest Cinnamon 1.6 in action? Check out the video below:
(direct video link)
For other Linux distributions, see the Cinnamon download page.