Let’s take a look at what’s new in the latest Cinnamon 1.8!
Cinnamon 1.8 video
Below you can watch a video which presents the most important changes in Cinnamon 1.8:
(direct video link; for more videos, subscribe to our YouTube channel)
Sorry for the fonts in the video, it’s an YouTube bug because the fonts look ok in my original video. The fonts don’t look like that when using Cinnamon.
What’s new in Cinnamon 1.8
- buttons in the statusbar to easily hide the sidebar and switch between places and treeview (sidebar);
- option to hide the menu;
- collapsable sidebar categories;
- Sidebar Disk Indicators: indicators are displayed under each drive, displaying the free/used space;
- various fixes and more.
- Cinnamon now automatically falls back to Software Rendering (previously known as Cinnamon 2D) when the full Cinnamon is not supported – a critical notification is displayed on startup when running Software Rendering – this usually happens because of a problem with the drivers or if the graphics card doesn’t support any acceleration;
- improved hot-corner configuration;
- new coverflow and timeline alt-tab;
- updated default applets, many fixes, etc.
Install Cinnamon 1.8 in Ubuntu
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon
Once installed, log out and select Cinnamon from the login screen.
For other Linux distributions, see the Cinnamon downloads page.