Lars Vogdt has announced the release of openSUSE 12.3 “Edu Li-f-e” edition, a specialist openSUSE variant designed for deployment in educational institutions: “The openSUSE Education Team is proud to present Li-f-e (Linux for Education) 12.3-1. This first release is based on openSUSE 12.3 with all the official updates….
- Kernel laptop mode and dirty buffer timeouts;
- Processor frequency scaling including “turbo boost” / “turbo core”;
- Power aware process scheduler for multi-core/hyper-threading;
- Hard disk advanced power management level and spin down timeout (per disk);
- SATA aggressive link power management (ALPM);
- PCI Express active state power management (PCIe ASPM) – Linux 2.6.35 and above;
- Runtime power management for PCI(e) bus devices – Linux 2.6.35 and above;
- Radeon KMS power management – Linux 2.6.35 and above, not fglrx;
- Wifi power saving mode – depending on kernel/driver;
- Power off optical drive in drive bay (on battery).
Additional TLP functions:
- I/O scheduler (per disk);
- USB autosuspend with blacklist;
- Audio power saving mode – hda_intel, ac97;
- Enable or disable integrated wifi, bluetooth or wwan devices upon system startup and shutdown;
- Restore radio device state on system startup (from previous shutdown);
- Radio device wizard: switch radios upon network connect/disconnect and dock/undock;
- Disable Wake On LAN;
- WWAN state is restored after suspend/hibernate;
- Undervolting of Intel processors – requires kernel with PHC-Patch;
- Battery charge thresholds – ThinkPads only;
- Recalibrate battery – ThinkPads only.
Install TLP in Ubuntu
Before proceeding with the installation, there are a couple of things you need to do:
- firstly, if you’ve added any power saving settings / scripts (e.g.: in /etc/rc.local), remove them or else TLP may not work properly;
- remove laptop-mode-tools (“sudo apt-get remove laptop-mode-tools”).
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linrunner/tlp
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tlp tlp-rdw
sudo tlp start
- smartmontools – needed to display disk drive S.M.A.R.T. data;
- ethtool – needed to disable wake on lan.
sudo apt-get install smartmontools ethtool
- tp-smapi-dkms – needed for battery charge thresholds and ThinkPad specific status output of tlp-stat;
- acpi-call-tools – acpi-call is needed for battery charge thresholds on Sandy Bridge and newer models (X220/T420, X230/T430, etc.).
Install these packages using the following command:
sudo apt-get install tp-smapi-dkms acpi-call-tools
Make sure to also read the TLP FAQ.
You'll never be lonely when all your friends are just a tap away, but Facebook thinks you'll have more fun when they are right up front
A long plane ride is a pretty boring thing. Sure, you could get out your laptop and work, or keep handing over your plastic for those tiny bottles of entertainment, but Facebook has another idea — with Facebook Home and the HTC First you can bring along all your friends. And cats.
While we imagine the average Facebook user's feed will be slightly different (and a lot less safe for work), this is a good ad that gets the idea across. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more like it.
Lars Vogdt has announced the release of openSUSE 12.2 “Edu Li-f-e” edition, an openSUSE variant specifically tailored to schools: “The openSUSE Education team once again presents Li-f-e (Linux for Education), built on hot-new openSUSE 12.2, including all the post-release updates. As always, this edition of Li-f-e comes bundled..
The latest version of OpenSuSE Li-f-e is based on OpenSuSE 12.1, which is not the latest as of early September. I hope the newer OpenSuSE 12.2 Li-f-e will be released soon, but in the meantime let’s talk about OpenSuSE 12.1 Li-f-e. You may consider this distribution, if you’re looking for something suitable in the way of a Linux Desktop or Laptop version for pupils, students or teachers in your environment.
LXer Linux News
- 900 MHz, 64 bits, Loongson 2F CPU by STMicroelectronics
- 512MB DDR2 RAM
- 16 GB G-Key removable storage. Up to 4 Hours of Battery Life.
- 10-inch LCD screen with 1024 x 600 resolution. Slim, soft-touch keyboard, multi-finger touchpad and lightweight at 2.6 lbs
- Linux Operating System with over 50 Open Source applications including Open Office, Evince, Firefox, Thunderbird, MSN and more
The EMTEC Gdium Liberty is the ultimate netbook. Combining innovative architecture entrenched in the Open Source world, an elegant and stylish design, and added security and mobility with the G-Key, the Gdium is an ultraportable computer that acts as a cornerstone of a wider environment dedicated to knowledge, communication and learning. Gdium features a Linux Operating System, over 50 Open Source applications, a removable G-Key storage device, multimedia functions including an integrated webcam
List Price: $ 255.99